Working in an IT firm we are always pushed and asked to complete a lot of Ethical and Anti-hacking training to avoid any kind of attacks. I recently witnessed: that so many bloggers were hacked either the website was hacked, Instagram account was hacked or even their email addresses were attacked.
I received many training on how to avoid hacking or how to be mindful in general when you are using the internet therefore, I would like to give you all a few pointers and Tips on how to proactively look for phishing emails, hacking attempts and requests.
Please swipe through the pictures to read details (Carousel Post). Please tag your friends and people who might find it useful for their social media accounts, websites and in general using the internet.
General Online Security TIPS
- Be suspicious to any request for personal information; Your account details, your passwords through any link
- Watch out for grammar spelling mistakes in the email you receive.
- Beware of VISHING; social engineering attack via phone or voicemail where they ask about your personal information/your identity. Treat any unknown caller with caution.
- Beware of SMISHING: social engineering attack via SMS where they ask you to reply.
- Validate the legitimacy of the email you received by researching about that company.
- Never send your confidential information via WhatsApp- always use encryption on emails for such emails.
- Remember – Social engineers can imitate familiar phone numbers and emails to trick you. If you want to confirm the suspicious request from a bank or organization is legitimate contact them directly by calling the number at the back of your bank card.
- When creating a new document use the Permission Tool bar to classify your documents.
- Keep reviewing who has access to your documents on OneDrive or share Point.
- If you must use a public network, confirm with the establishment that the network is genuine before connecting and only navigate to sites that begin with “https”—indicating an encrypted connection.
Social media Security Tips
- User 2 Factor Authentication for Instagram- use your phone number to setup using Google Authenticator APP that generate unique code for each account every time you log in.
- Be careful before using Third party tool /applications for your social media accounts; do your research about that app because they ask for access and can post on your behalf. A key hint is the safe tool/application would always ask you to’ log in with Facebook’ rather than asking you to put your Facebook login details directly.
- Keep rotating your passwords and never use same passwords for multiple social media accounts and your emails.
Website/Blog Security Tips
- Always install SSL it’s a Secure socket layer certificate which normally should buy with your hosting website. It encrypts your data like login details when its passing between your site and host.
- Use anti-virus/malware software for your website.
- Use difficult and strong passwords and no personal information in passwords.
- Keep your website up to date by checking the installing latest updates.
- Run regular backups.
- Accept the comments on your website/Blog manually.